Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Another Turkey (Without grandparents, and without Dad)

This is the first Thanksgiving without my father, as he passed away in April.  This  2015 Thanksgiving Mom and I avoided the rituals of the national holiday and went to Cracker Barrell.  Don't laugh, yes, Cracker Barrell.  She found some neat clothes, you ought to go there and see their retail items.  Better than Macy that night.

Anyway, today is December 22nd and I began the Turkey Brine.  Earlier I would have began, but was delayed by being so angry I wasn't watching my step (Dad and Mom always believe if you keep the lights outside it will make it more difficult for the burgler... I guess they think the fella will carry a flash light so one can see him coming a far off... )  anyway I fell into the pool, holding my cheap cell phone and all.  We'll see tomorrow if the thing works.  But as far as cooking, there was a delay in getting started.   Currently the bird is resting inside a sugary, gingery, vegetable stock brine.

It also happens, this is the hottest Christmas on record for a number of years, maybe in recorded history for North America.   You'll have to check back on that as the years pass.   Anyway, my mind is with my grandchild and son and his family in Florida.  I wonder what they are doing and my mind drifts their way. Was thinking of making that pumpkin pie I never completed... Stephen/Sam loves pumpkin pie.  I think I'll make something else which requires a good crust.  Will make the crust tomorrow.

Christmas Eve:

Well, From December 22nd until December 24th ....how awful circumstances turn.  Somehow I became all upset and disgusted.  Back to food issues... with other issues I put cooking on hold.  Tonight I attempt to continue.  The bird has soaked in cold, very cold, brine, vegetable stock, ginger and sugar water.   Additionally I have the purple sweet potatoes and candy cane beets... looking to do something with them.  I'm cooking up the dressing as well.  It is 1:00am on Christmas Day ...  I wish mom felt better and my patience was longer, as SHE may not have very many more Christmases remaining.    My fever is slight and my body aches, but I'll get over it.  I just hope an atmosphere of hope and love can be generated for the remaining parts of Christmas and throughout the rest of the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home