Thursday, January 21, 2016

January 2016 - Lamb

It is January, and my nephew's birthday passed with me thinking of him, as well as my sister and niece.  These last two weeks I have attempted several times to utilize these nice purple sweet potatoes.

The beets in December were sliced, cooked, but not eaten.  The turkey turned out fine.  It froze really well, too.  The stuffing was fine, but best the day of rather than frozen.  Thawed well, just the freshness of the herbs were brighter day of and after day cooked.       Mom tried to make Christmas as nice as could be I hope I delighted in it to have her feel happy.  My thoughts were with my son, daughter in fun, and granddaughter.... and their Christmas and extended family celebration... as well recalled Christmases with family and friends and prayed for them this year as I missed them.   Roast turned out fine... I liked it a lot, but the two other parties here just preferred turkey.... so on New Years Eve, they had thawed turkey and stuffing  while I feasted on standing rib roast.   Funny Christmas was so hot, but by New Years I was able to put the rib roast outside in a tub of ice and it was practically frozen after cooking.... nice fridge... as the fridge was full and scents mixing.

There was a quick lamb I cooked.  Awful.  The lamb was quite, quite gamey...   usually I soak and salt the lamb overnight... it helps to reduce the "game" in the lamb.   WOW does it... because this lamb was made with virtually NO salt added, there was no bone, no soaking, and I even kept most of the fat on the lamb as I had no salt... (fat adds flavor, but with no salt to remove the "game"...  fat only enhances the gaminess... and not in a pleasant way, either.)  Did not use rosemary either...rosemary,  another  classic  addition,  releases  antioxidants  that  hinder  oxidation  of  certain  fats.  Those fats  can  give  even  the  finest  lamb  a  mutton-like  flavor.     But the purple, yellow, and white  carrots were kinda neat.

Richard Cianciolo tasted of the lamb and thought it was gamey, too.  Mariluz, gracious friend, asked me to look at the lamb she ate and thanked me.  WOW ... how sweet.  What an encouraging friend to concentrate on the effort put into cooking and bringing a meal, rather than merely the taste only.   Bless her.   But thanks for Richard, because that lamb was awfully gamey...  Glad to have someone give accurate taste opinions, as I feel I benefit from an other's perspective.  It also, Sian, if you are reading this, .. realize that benefits occurred from polling friends and experts will diminish rapidly with too many opinion.  People's opinions, in matters of taste, must be viewed with respect to the values of the person giving them... and yours receiving them.   Just make sure the fella saying it is in good taste... has the same taste as yours... or at least a better sense of good taste!

My plan tomorrow is to make cookies, pomegranate fudge, and mashed potatoes.  Hopefully some risotto will be cooked, depends on if I feel like standing and stirring...   maybe while I cut up fruits and vegetables needed for juicing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home